Crippled Chick Update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by merrymutts, Sep 17, 2016.

1. merrymutts

merrymutts Out Of The Brooder

I received quite a few suggestions for treating Chicklet II 's legs. He/She does not spraddle out to the side...just seems like the left leg has some "palsy"..the toes are curled under a tad so when Chicklet II tries to walk...it's very lopsided.

I tried doing some hobbles for Chicklet to see if it would help the legs and my hands just aren't as nimble as they used to be. Either the hobbles fell off or they made the lopsided walk worse. So I took them off.

Update this morning...Chicklet II seems to be thriving. She ( until I determine otherwise ) is eating chick starter and is taking water from a small syringe and is walking all over the box, Still a bit lopsided but she is making the effort...and it appears that the right leg is getting stronger so I have hopes that eventually the left leg will correct itself. I will call my vet tomorrow and while I don't think they'll have much guidance...maybe they can help with putting Chicklet II in hobbles.

In any cae...since she is doing so well...eating, drinking, pooping and moving on her own...I cannot justify euthanizing the bird...just do the best we can and if she survives to adulthood...then she'll just be a pet chicken.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    That's awesome! Glad your chick is getting stronger! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by