Crippled Chick ??

merrymutts

Songster
7 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Ft Leonard Woood, Missouri
My one Silver Penciled Rock chick hatched out yesterday but I have a question.

Seems like it's not getting it's legs underneath it and walking normally yet. It's trying to walk but still kind of waddles around whilst keeping legs close to the belly. The legs move and the toes flex and contract so it's not paralyzed.

We'd bought some day old chicks to keep it company but all they did was pick on it so I removed chick and have it in a separate box with a light. It seemed very week so I have been giving it drops of sugar water regularly and it's really perked up and is eating and peeping up a storm but is still not walking normally.

Suggestions ???

My one Silver Penciled Rock chick hatched out yesterday but I have a question.

Seems like it's not getting it's legs underneath it and walking normally yet. It's trying to walk but still kind of waddles around whilst keeping legs close to the belly. The legs move and the toes flex and contract so it's not paralyzed.

We'd bought some day old chicks to keep it company but all they did was pick on it so I removed chick and have it in a separate box with a light. It seemed very week so I have been giving it drops of sugar water regularly and it's really perked up and is eating and peeping up a storm but is still not walking normally.

Suggestions ???
You say, "not getting it's legs underneath it" do you mean that physically the leg(s) are out the the sides? If so, then yyou may be looking at spraddle leg(s) which is treatable in most cases. You may want to take a look here:http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

Was this chick a late hatcher?

not quite spraddled...almost like the legs are too weak to support the chick's body. It seems a little better this morning and I can pretty well guess that this chick, if it survives, is going to be spoiled rotten and really be a Pet chicken.

I have vet wrap so I will try hobbling and such and see hoe it goes,

Thanks for your help

not quite spraddled...almost like the legs are too weak to support the chick's body. It seems a little better this morning and I can pretty well guess that this chick, if it survives, is going to be spoiled rotten and really be a Pet chicken.

I have vet wrap so I will try hobbling and such and see hoe it goes,

Thanks for your help
My very first hatch was a compromised hatch. My thermometer was off and I didn't know it. I had one chick survivor to hatch at day 24. My sister thought his legs looked "off" from my pics, but he moved just fine and looked normal to me.... months later as he put on weight I could tell that his balance was off and by the time he was grown it was apparent that he had weak legs from the begining and as he put on weight growing it was too much for his weak joints and his "knee" was turning in toward his body. He was a sweet boy, and yes he was spoiled...lol He was special needs, but I kept him. He was able to go out to the coop for the spring/summer season last year and he thrived, but my younger roos started "coming of age" of they went after him, so I had to seperate him from the coop and during the winter, I think his spirit just broke having to be back inside, in a smaller enclosure and early spring we lost him.

Nothing wrong with a spoiled pet chicken though.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom