crippled chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cugo18, May 4, 2009.

1. cugo18

cugo18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    i have a chick that was born with both of his legs going outward like he was doing the splits all the time. is there anything i can do to help the chick or should i just put it out of pain.? not sure what to do. please any help would be greatly advised. thanks in advance for any and all replies.

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    This goes by a couple of different names (some of us may be calling it by the wrong name); spraddle or straddle legs. Some chicks can be corrected, others can not. This webpage can help you out a bit. http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

3. cugo18

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    thanks im going to look at the site now the one that is one the main page looks just like mine does to the T Again thanks for the info [​IMG]

4. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    No problem. I hate it when it takes forever for someone to answer a post. [​IMG] Keep an eye on his toes too. They can curl under from this condition. Good luck with your chick.

5. cugo18

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    so do you mean like walking on the top of his foot where the feathers should be at i have one that hes only doing that with one of the feet not both other is fine. thanks again other chick dont like this with the bandaid on his foot crys alot

6. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    For the one whose toes are curled under you can make a "boot" out of cardboard (or a quarter) and medical tape to flatten the foot. If you search the site for orthopedics, you should have a couple of helpful threads come up that can help.

Also, I've found that toddler or child sock cuffs work well to hold the chick still while you work on their legs/feet. Just cut the cuff away from the foot part. I usually would roll it about 1/2 way slip the hole over the head and then unroll it around the rest of the body.

7. cugo18

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    that is cool that i never would have thought of doing with the kids sock. thanks again so very much for all your wonderful and quick advice.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. cugo18

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    hello there i just wanted to give you the heads up that the chick that we were talking about is doing a great deal better looks as if he/she is even running around keeping upi with the others. also put a boot on another one today hope will do just as well.[​IMG]

9. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I'm glad to hear that. I hope it works out for both of them. Sounds like your straddle chick may start giving the rest a run for their money.

10. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That is awesome, so glad your little one is going to be ok!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by