Crippled Dutch- what to do?

Kareng

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 23, 2008
California
This is my 7 week old dutch (not sure of sex) that is injured, I think it might have happened while moving the tractor last week. It has energy and looks healthy, but is less and less mobile. It can flap and tries to run, but falls to one side, eves eats and drinks laying down. I brought it inside today to be confined to the old brooder since its close to 100 degrees today and it was too sad.
I want to help it, but there are no obvious injuries. I know theres probably not much to do about it, but I feel so bad.
Thanks for any ideas...

Please see my posts.

What can I say, we have been nursing a lame one now for 9 days........no improvement. Not looking hopeful. What we have created is a house pet who will likely never walk. But, had xrays, no breaks so we keep on.

Why.........we have time. I don't really expect a good result.....but I have time.

Now, if we leave the room she goes bonkers....she actually thinks she's a pet. Cute but disturbing.

Use common sense.

Good Luck.

mtnhomechick, sorry to hear we are in the same boat. She seems more content in the brooder, but flops to the food and water then flops back to her favorite corner. I am hoping that a few days confinement will help, but I know the odds aren't good.
Wow, I looked at your chicken traction and you are definitely trying hard with her! Your posts and pictures are so great, I couldn't help but laugh, then envy your commitment.
We also have the baby bird that fell from the pine trees into the chicken run (through the wire roof even). We found it 4 days ago, it is doing fine. We tried the whole leave it out, wait for mother thing, but nothing. This is not the first baby bird in our family!
I guess my point is that we do this to ourselves us bird people. I know what I'm supposed to do with the chicken, but I love them as you obviously do, too.
Well bless you and your house chicken, let me know how it goes.

House chickens rule the roost...literally and figuratively...I had to wrestle my spaghetti from Obelisk...
roll.png

As long as she's eating and drinking there's still hope...
Was your bird vaccinated for Marek's Disease?

It came from the feed store, I will call to ask about vaccines. All the others are fine, though (30 more), even the ones from the same shipment. But that thought makes me glad i separated her (?)
I just found out mine like pasta, too.
Thanks for your concern SpottedCrow

Karen G

From what I understand........and believe me when I say I am no authority.........it takes lots of time for birds. From what I hear it can take months.

Last night we had a mortality from the same batch. I compared little Scarlett to the other bird who died from an instant injury.......and the other was more mature.

To what end we are doing this I do not know.

One thing the vet told me...which we did right away....was to get the pedialite. Other than that just normal food, love and hope. I'm not really feeling positive though.

Maybe want to check out some posts on Zane.

Just Hangin' w/Scarlet.

Good luck.......keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom