Crippled goose

jennyb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2013
i bought seven Toulouse goslings from Murray MacMurray. They are about 3 months old, close to full grown. I have raised geese before but never encountered this problem. Any goose I have ever lost was predator-related. One gosling was having leg issues and I added niacin and he got stronger (he/she). The limp remained, but much less. The gait was impaired a bit but the gosling was able to eat, drink, swim and do goose things. Yesterday we let them out for a swim. (They free range during the day a bit, always staying together, easy to manage, and are in a pen at other times.). This guy, whom we named Bumble, came in and settled into a corner and has been there since, 24 hours. It appears the leg no longer supports the heavier body.

I could bring Bumble into the house and attempt to splint or some other assistive option y'all might suggest. Or we could send Bumble on over the bridge. And about that, is a .22 the best option? Unfortunately, we don't care for roasted goose. I couldn't do that anyway, not after naming it.

This is from my security cam. Half the pen is exposed, they like the rain, and the rump end of Harvey is moving through Tallahassee. Bumble is bottom left, not the one with head in the bin. I know you can't tell anything from the photo, just sending it so you get an idea of our set up.

Jen in Florida
IMG_9867.PNG

Are you still supplementing with niacin? what form are you using? Other than niacin and rest and water therapy I am not sure I don't know if splinting would help but it may. Is he eating and drinking? or do you feel he has given up? You may have to put feed and water close so he can get to it.

@Iain Utah Had a disabled gander for a number of years maybe she can give you some ideas that may help.

Back
Top Bottom