crippled hen can't dustbathe and has lice!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MD, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MD

MD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    San Mateo, CA
    I have a pullet that has been crippled since hatching so she can't move her neck very well, and seems to lack many chicken instincts. Because of this she only grooms her chest and leaves everything else, and she doesn't dustbathe. I don't know why I wouldn't have thought to check earlier, but I realized she likely would have parasites and when I checked she was infested with lice! Very disgusting. Immediately I very thoroughly checked all my other girls (much to their annoyance) and none have a single louse. Very clean, if I do say so myself. They have a nice sand and dirt and DE dustbath which they use regularly, excepting the cripple Dot. I didn't really know what to do, so I put on some gloves and liberally sprinkled DE under all her feathers (probably a little too much). I was wondering what I should use to get rid of the lice and how I should prevent Dot from getting lice or anything else in the future? Should I try to give her dustbaths? Thanks!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yeah giving her dust baths it whhat you can do. Also bathing her might help and then drying her and dusting her again. If you find any nits (lice eggs) put vaseline on them and it will cause them to fall off.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    You could try using the lice sprays they make for birds at the pet shop. If it works on caged birds, I don't see why it wouldn't work on chickens.

4. MD

MD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    San Mateo, CA
    Thanks!

5. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    DE (diamascus earth, Sp?) can be a natural delicer. Get healthy handfuls and fluff it into her feathers! If you dont have that, wood ash also works.
    Dust bath for her. [​IMG]

6. sjshaw1980

sjshaw1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    New Jersey
    You can get louse and mite powders at your local feed store and give her a good dust bath, or you can also get Eprinex or Ivomec pour on for cattle. Put a few drops on the back of her neck every couple of months (it's like Frontline for chickens) - its not approved for poultry use by the FDA, but its very effective when used properly. Also there is a withdrawal period so don't eat her eggs for a bit after you treat her.

7. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Our flock had lice, and we tried DE to but it didn't work. Manna Pro makes a spray called Poultry Protector that works great! Good luck! We also tried bathing and that also didn't work.

8. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    I've been combining the two (hardwood ashes and diatomaceous earth), along w/ some fine sifted clay ... works quite well ~'-)

9. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    If one's got 'em, then (basically) they all do (even if you can't see 'em).

I'm a big fan of helpin' birds bathe by workin' some into most esp. their undersides, under their wings, and around the vent area. I do use hardwood ashes and diatomaceous earth, but also include the poultry dust w/ permethrin when I give 'em a dust bath. Those commercially available contain 0.25% permethrin, and nothing to synergistically extend it's effectiveness, so it's about the safest way to treat external parasites. You should also oil down the roosts, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to hit their legs w/ somethin' as well, since you'll be handling each anyhow ~'-)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  10. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    ^^^THIS^^^

DE works for us for mites but not lice, but we had great success with Poultry Protector! We bought the type you have to dilute and I ended up making a fairly strong batch of it since the lice wouldn't abate, and after a couple of treatments the lice were gone! I think you are supposed to only spray once a week, but just read the directions and you'll be fine. The best part is that you can treat your layers and not have to skip eating their eggs since it's non-toxic. We were going to resort to Ivomec but tried the Poultry Protector instead and it did work, it just might take a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by