crippled legs/feet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wongson, May 12, 2009.

1. Wongson

Wongson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Minneapolis Metro
    I just hatched my 1st flock using a little giant still air incubator. out of 2 dz eggs 8 hatched. 2 of the chicks have crippled feet/leggs....they are curled and they "walk" like they are hopping on their knees.....is this a condition from incubation or just a condition some chicks have?

Thank you!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    someone who knows more will answer but i know there are things like spraddle leg that are fairly easy to fix with some bandaids ect , Good luck

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post pics? It's easier for us to help you if we can see exactly what their feet/legs look like. [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If the problem is just curled toes, you can make them little orthopedic boots with bandaids and cardboard. Spraddle leg can be fixed with a bandaid brace just below the hocks. A slipped tendon is a bit tougher I think. Post pics please.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's usually caused by low temperature and most of the time it is reversable. The toes can be fixed for sure, legs can be harder to fix. Splint the toes by sandwhiching them between two W shaped bandages (moleskin works best). Tie the legs together. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. chick~E

chick~E New Egg

May 15, 2009
    Im not quite sure spraddle leg is the case here...can someone help my lil one!![​IMG]

7. Wongson

Wongson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Minneapolis Metro
    YES! that is the problem my chicks have! and no that is not saddle leg from what i have seen. we actually ended up making little splints with cut toothpics and bandages...it did not correct the problem but at least they are not rubbing their "knees" on the ground anymore and there are no more rubbing sores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by