crippled newborn chick-need advice

retiredwithchicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Byrdstown, TN
I have a BCM hatched yesterday and he drags his leg behind him. Seems not to be able to use it. I can't put him in with others because they peck at the leg. Is there anything I can do to help him?I have moved the leg and it moves OK but he seems to have no control over that.

Try some poultry vitamins in his water & you could make a hobble out of bandaids. If you do a search, I think someone has posted pics of what it should look like.

OK, will get vitamins tomorrow. I tried the bandaide thing and she just roles over with both feet kinda going behind her. Is there any other support so this won't happen.

If you're a handy "McGuiver" type of person, you can rig up a sling for her to get those feet working. You just have to make sure she can get at food & water........

I would keep him seperate from the others and make sure he gets the vitamins. I have some powdered on hand and put the smallest pinch in the water of newly hatched chicks.
Keep an eye on him and make sure he is drinking and eating too.
Can he get around? Hopefully in a few days his muscles will work better. I would at least give him a few days more and see what happens.
I have noticed that chicks with major issue usually do not survive very long. Nature takes over and will cull them.

Back
Top Bottom