crippled Pekin duck needs help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluck farmer, Jun 16, 2011.

1. cluck farmer

cluck farmer New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    Hi fellow poultry addicts! I'm new to this site! I'm hoping someone out there can help my Pekin. I purchased 3 Pekin ducks for TSC this spring. 2 are doing well and the third isn't....he can't walk. Over the last 4 weeks he has been getting worse. He pushes himself around with his feet and flaps his wings for help in moving around the yard. I have found no inflamation in the legs. He isn't over weight. Stumped!!!! I started Pen-G at 1cc once a day...I'm on day 4 of injections... he seems to be doing better...but still not walking. I thought maybe something internal. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It could be a niacin or vitamin deficiency. What do you feed them?

3. cluck farmer

cluck farmer New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    I fed them a 20% chick starter from TSC then switched to a local feed mill 18% chick starter. And I'm starting to wonder if that is it....the problem started after the feed switch. Do they need a higher protein? Or maybe it is the mineral/vitamin mix that's off?.....

4. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same problem with my Pekin duckling..Hanna is just shy of being 10 weeks old...she stopped walking
    about 2 1/2 weeks ago but drags herself around on her "ankles?" with her feet bent under backwards...
    (her sibling doesn't have this problem.)...it came on overnight with no signs that there was a problem...

I have been giving her niacin and confine her more to conserve her strenght.....still not walking though...

hopefully someone will have some insight on this problem..

5. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't know why this is happening to your ducks, but perhaps a little physical therapy of holding them up on their legs then helping them to support themselves for a time, to strengthen the legs?

6. cluck farmer

cluck farmer New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    But this duck was perfectly fine 4 weeks ago.....I thought about confining him but he is content being close to the other two. They don't go far from him. They all rest together. I keep them in a 10'x10' dog kennel at night so the are safe from predators and that crippled duck goes in every night on it's own. It eats and drinks normal....it's just not walking to well.
    His feet stay under him the way they are supposed to be used....he seems like he can't lift up his weight.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  7. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted earlier but want to encourage you to give your Pekin niacin....
    this morning I went out and my pekin,Hanna, was standing! She has been on extra Niacin
    since Tuesday (today is Friday) ... that is major progress to me...walking next [​IMG]

I put 100mg Niacin into one gallon of water(sprinkled it into jug then added water) and then gave to Hanna...
    I am also going to give to all my ducks under 3months of age as a preventable measure...

Hope your Pekin continues to improve as my Hanna has!

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Quote:I second this! I took my Pekin to the vet when he was a duckling because he was having trouble walking and having what looked like seizures. I was adding Niacin to their water, but I think I started too late. The vet gave him a vitamin B shot and he started getting better very quickly and hasn't had a problem since.

Do Pekins tend to have problems with this?

9. cluck farmer

cluck farmer New Egg

Apr 30, 2009
    Well it's been a few days....I've added a vitiamin and minerals supplement to my ducks water and he seems to be better but....not great. I'm off to the store for niacin. Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by