Crippled pullet, feeder/waterer Q's

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hokankai, Aug 21, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I've got a 14 week d'uccle pullet who somehow managed to paralyze her foot while we were on vacation. She hops around on one foot ok, but I'm worried about how she's going to do once I move everyone to the new coop. It's up off the ground (she wasn't paralyzed when we built it), with a ramp and is made out of a modified 4x4 doghouse. I'm hoping she does ok, but I'm thinking it would be best to keep the feeder and waterer inside the coop, just in case.

My question is, what would be the best choice for feeders and waterers for this banty flock that will cause the least mess and waste? We have a silkie, sizzle, cochins, and d'uccles, including the crippled girl. Also, is keeping the feeder and waterer inside the coop a good idea?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Honestly, I have no experience with bantams so I can't answer which feeders are best. But I have always had the feeder inside the coop. Just makes sense to me because it's protected from the weather in there and the girls always have access to it.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's my set up. This is a three sided coop. I have two waterers & two feeders in the coop.I built one feeder the other one I bought. I like the metal feeder it does well. I would put the feeder inside as well to protect the feed from the weather.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by