Crippled Roo Now Has Injured Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drdoolittle, Aug 4, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have a roo that has been crippled sinced around the time he feathered out. He's been doing very well, until this past week when we were gone on vacation. I had someone staying at our place caring for the animals, and one morning he noticed that this roo had most of his comb torn off. None of the other chickens in the pen had any injuries, so I don't know if it could have been a predator. It seems too severe to have been done by another chicken.

The part of his comb that is torn off is still complete, but most of it is black----probably gangrene. I want to remove the dead part, but am unsure of the proper way to do this. Should I just take a big pair of shears and cut it off? Will there be much bleeding? Anyone have to deal with something like this before?

2. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    I wouldnt touch it, when they turn black it usually falls off by itself....unless you think there is an infection, then he would need further medical help

3. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    O.K., I'll try waiting it out----it's just such a large comb that it's compromising his eyesight.

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Just wondering if anyone has any other advice. The dead part of the comb has a bad odor to it-----as dying flesh does----so I really think I should remove it (after disinfecting of course, and sterilizing the scissors).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by