Crippled rooster

huevosfritos

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
soo sad... it breaks my heart!!!!
Limbo was very healthy when a baby and very independent. He's the only speckled sussex in the gang. I ordered 3 sussex hens but the hatchery sold out.

BABY LIMBO:
Lufthansa.jpg

Over a month ago I noticed he was limping and had a small wound on one leg. He probably got into a fight with Banjo, the predominant rooster. I thought that was normal... he just needed some time to heal. But time has passed, he has grown and gained weight and now he walks with a lot of difficulty. Even eaten is not easy since he's not able to keep the balance (the broken leg keeps slipping unless he's standing on a rough surface) I have to feed him separately, sometimes carry him and put him back in the coop after he has tried a thousand times to get in by himself. This morning I tried to improvise a "cast" to keep his leg straight...
sad.png

LIMBO (he's very handsome)
limboinjury.jpg

I don't think he is in pain... what should I do?
thanks

When my chicken had a broken leg I took it to the vet and he splinted it. Not sure you have that option since it has already healed in the wrong position. They would probably have to rebreak it. And of course a lot of people thought I was nuts to spend that much on a chicken anyway, but that's just me... nuts about my critters.
He is very handsome !!

ha!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the reply. I thought of taking him to the Vet too but my husband laughed at me and said that the vet would probably suggest to make some chicken broth...
sad.png
I will NEVER eat my chickens!!!!:mad:
thanks sassycathill!

Unlikely your vet would suggest you eat your pet rooster....not good PR, or a good way to keep clients. If they thought the pet was suffering and could not be helped- they might recommend humane euth.

What they could do is give you peace of mind that he is (or is not) painful, and take an x-ray to tell you that he had a broken leg or pelvis and it healed, and he is deformed but can live a relatively normal life- he probably would have trouble servicing the hens- but if you don't need that---- then great!

You will want to check the bottoms of BOTH feet and his ankle/hock area on a regular basis. He can't bear weight normally and will be prone to ulcers and things like bumblefoot- on the good leg as well as the bad leg. He probably bears more weight on the good leg- so that one will be more likely to be injured on the bottom. You may also need to trim the nails on the bad foot, as they will not wear down normally.

If he does not have a healed fracture, then there may be something more insidious going on
tongue.png

Jess

Looks like a slipped tendon to me, not a break, unless you know for sure it's broken, then forget what I said. Slipped tendon wont heal by itself. I culled a 3 week old chick who developed one a couple years ago. Just happened suddenly.

Back
Top Bottom