1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crippled/ sick 5 day old chick??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amanning0924, Mar 7, 2017.

1. amanning0924

amanning0924 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    My kids picked up their 4-H chicks this past Friday. We lost one that was sickly when they gave it to us. It lasted til Sunday after church. We now have one chick out of 15 that started exhibiting weird behavior about the same time Sunday around lunch. She was fine up to that point. When I first noticed it, she was staggering around like she was drunk. Sorta bobbing and weaving. She finally started falling over on her side when she walked. It's like she has no center of gravity. I noticed that it looks like her head pulls a little to the right and when she falls over it falls over to the right. She can keep her balance and sit and she walks to the food and water sorta crouched down low. (We named her Lola haha) But when she tries to stand up she falls over on her side. She can wallow around and get back upright. Sometimes we help her back up, but when we arent here I guess she does it on her own. I have looked online to try and come up with a cause, be it an illness or just a deformity, and can't really find anything. Everything I am looking at just seems so broad. We know of another 4-Her who lost all but three to what sounds like the same thing as our little chick just much worse. Just wondering if anybody had any ideas.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Does she have a poopy butt?

3. amanning0924

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    No pasty butt. We brought them home and gave them electrolyte water friday and Saturday. We cleaned butts on sunday morning. We had one that was worse than the others. I cant say for sure or not whether it was her or not but I dont' think it had gotten to the point that it would cause any issues. Cleaned butts again yesterday and checked again today and everybody looking good.

4. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  5. amanning0924

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    We also use the moma heating pad method. No heat lamps.

6. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I do not claim to know everything about chicks/chickens.
    I can tell you that I do spend a lot of time reading..daily..on here....
    It seems a lot of people have this exact same problem with losing new chicks and
    9/10 Corid fixes this problem.

7. amanning0924

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    This is not our first time raising chicks but this is only the second time we have had chicks from a hatchery. We had the same issue with dirty hineys with the last bunch but I just chalked that up to them being from a hatchery and spending so much time in the "mail". The last bunch was over it 4 days after we got them. These have all cleared up as well. No dirty hineys today. I still dont think anybody had been blocked so that there would have been the kind of issues we are seeing in this chick. Any other suggestions?

8. amanning0924

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Ok I will go pick some up tomorrow and hope that it helps!!! Thanks!!

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    No...Not really...
    I can't say for sure but I've just been reading this same thing A LOT lately.
    If possible I would get some today...I've had read that it has helped chicks with in hours.

Again i'm not an expert...
    If you like I can post a few links to the other threads/same problems.

10. amanning0924

Nov 30, 2015
    East Tennessee
    OK may try TSC tonight. Thanks again for your quick response! I just want to give her the best chance we can. I have decided that I'm not a big fan of hatchery babies. We don't have these kinds of issues from our incubated babies but when my kids come home with hearts in their eyes wanting the 4-H chicks I can't tell them no lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by