Crisis

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BerrytangleFarm, Dec 18, 2010.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

The power went out this morning at 7am. Came back on about 5 hours later. I covered the incubator, but that raised the humidity. The temp was down to 70 degrees and the humidity at 80-something when the power finally came back on. Temp went back up into the 90's and humidity fell into the 40's quickly enough, but I wonder if these poor things will be viable now. Two that showed movement last night are still showing a small amount of movement, but two others that looked promising aren't moving.

What are the chances?? I'm pretty disappointed.

2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Don't candle them anymore--every time you take them out of the incubator to candle, you lose humidity! I have had the power go off for over 8 hours while I was incubating and all of them still hatched!!! Good luck!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    All viable eggs should still hatch. The incubation period may be extended by this chilling.

4. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Thank you for the encouragement! I hope these all do well.

The humidity is still in the mid-40's. It was in the high 30's when the power went out, so it seems to be doing better than the temp did. No more tampering, though. They'll stay unopened until tomorrow morning when I need to make sure all is well before leaving on an overnight. Hope we come home to movement!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by