critical ages for chicks survival to adulthood?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dftkarin, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    My chicks are 1 week old and so far all have survived (one is a lot smaller but she still eats and drinks so I'm hoping she'll stay healthy) and I'm splitting this order with a neighbor so that I am left with 3. Are there critical ages that once a chick lives to that point, one can assume it will remain healthy and grow up to adulthood (independant of predators of course - which I plan to be very careful about)? So many people say they lose a chick or two in the very beginning and I feel lucky that all 7 seems healthy at 1 week old.

2. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    I know what you mean. I ordered 9 chicks, 9 arrived alive and at 3 weeks today they are all still alive and very active. PTL!

3. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I know exactly what you mean too! I kept checking the weeks off the calendar in the beginning, feeling each time as though we'd avoided the reaper somehow.

I think once they start looking like real chickens, the worry about health starts to wane, or so it has/did for me at about 6 weeks of age.

4. lovemyflock

lovemyflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Maryland
    I know coccidia is most likely to hit between 3 and 6 weeks.

5. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    My chicks are 5 weeks old. I have stopped holding my breath before I check on them each morning. They seem sturdy now. We had 35 eggs, mixed types, from a friend. 27 chicks hatched. All are healthy.
    One had a splayed leg and we put a band on it, but it seems it was not successful.
    She/he gets around hopping. eats and drinks. is only a tiny bit smaller then the others. Not sure what to do with her now. She appears to be struggling to get around.
    We kept the chicks in the living room in two rubber made totes for the first 2 weeks, then moved them to the garage. They have a large brooder in there.
    This was our first attempt at hatching. We bought 6 RIR pullets in April. No, we are keeping all 27 chicks. LOL
    This is how we describe the chicks, two all yellow, half are shades of red and or browns, half are Turbins. black no feathers on the necks. one of these is all grey, pretty except he is naked necked.
    The yellow are the friendliest. the turbins fastest.

6. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Quote:How successful is the antibiotic-laced feed in preventing coccidia?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by