Critique Goats please Nubians

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by luvzmybabz, Sep 11, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Here are a couple of the girls I have been looking at wanting to get opinions as I am fairly new to goats OK really new but have read lots and lots and had a little hand on time. These are for a pet/milk home I really done care about the show DISQ.

First is Sugar she is coming on 3 years old in Milk but not much about 1 quart a day (has not been milked as much as she could have been)

[​IMG]

Next is Olivia she is a 6 Month Doeling bottle fed was weaned within the last month.

[​IMG]

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    For pet/home dairy use, nothing screams 'no' at me. They both look a tish unthrifty, esp Olivia, but she might be that way because of her recent weaning.

You will probably be best advised to go ahead and dry off Sugar and rebreed her to get her production back up. Do they have a buck they can expose her to?

3. luvzmybabz

Oct 11, 2007
    They do not but I am working with someone local to see about breeding for me I will not have a stinky buck here. But there are a couple of people on my pioneer board that have nubian bucks within 30 minutes or so and I am trying to work out a barter with one of them.

4. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree, Olivia looks a little unthrifty, maybe extra grain, pasture, or worming would help. Sugar is very tiny for a Nubian, I would think she has pygmy or ND in her, but her body type and head looks rather boer. She also has a very steep rump and her front legs could be longer, which is undesirable in the show ring, but as pets and family milkers they would do just fine. Sugar looks like she has a nice udder from what I can see. [​IMG]

5. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:I've noticed around here there are a lot of back yard breeders who don't properly supplement their goats with copper and selenium, and a lot of the local Nubians are stunted...perhaps that's the reason. I don't have full sized goats, though...so I wasn't sure about commenting on that.

6. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Yes, goaties need GOAT FEED and GOAT MINERALS, such Sweetlix Meat Maker.

7. luvzmybabz

Oct 11, 2007
    OK the situation that I am in is there is only the sheep minerals locals or 4% loose or a block with 55ppm cooper, question I have is should I get the block and try to figure out a way to hang it. Also do you all know where to buy BS in bulk or do they not need that much and just get the larger box at grocery.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  8. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Baking soda? I dont recommend feeding it at all, but that's just me.

You can't use sheep minerals, and blocks are a moot point for goats. Shop around, I'm sure you'll find loose goat minerals somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by