Critique my coop design please.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by detz, Dec 6, 2014.

1. detz

detz Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Still working on the human door and the nesting box door. Max capacity of six hens.

Questions:

* Hows the roost hight and location? I wanted it close to the human access point so it's easy to clean.
    * I'm thinking DLM so I made it about 6" deep, are the little step ups okay for the nesting box and exit?
    * Where should I put windows/vents?
    * I live in the north east so I should add insulation to the walls?

Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't see the steps up to the nest.
    You probably will only need the top two roosts. That will open up more floor space. They like to roost as high as possible.
    Also you want a clear shot from the chicken door to the nest/s so they don't have to walk under the roost to get there. Otherwise they'll track feces into the nests.
    I'd probably put a big window on the pen side which would keep rain from coming in.
    They only sleep in coops to keep them safe from predators and the rain off of them. Otherwise they need lots of fresh air.

3. detz

Dec 3, 2014
    Massachusetts
    It gets pretty cold here, single digits in the winter so how do i balance the cold with circulation?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cold here too. Was down to -19 last winter and humid as well.
    Read this.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

About 75% of people will tell you that chickens can't have a draft. IMHO, that's nonsense. Jungle fowl have been living outdoors since the Eocene period. After 8000 years of keeping chickens, we just recently (relatively) put them in coops. I have a friend that has a very nice coop and predator proof covered run and roosts in both. For the last 2+ years her chickens have opted to sleep on the roosts in the open air run. Chickens can live in trees until a predator takes them. How do you keep drafts out of a tree.
    Every time I build a building, I make the windows bigger and more of them. Chickens need protection from predators and a roof over their head helps too but they absolutely can't live without fresh air.
    This was last winter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can take all that said with a grain of salt but I don't have respiratory issues.

And more discussions for you to peruse.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=ventilation&=Search

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. detz

Dec 3, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Great info, thanks.

With that I think I've leave the option to close the windows down if it's windy or really cold but leave them open most of the time. I changed some things around.

Thought is water and food will be in the back of the coop and under the coop. Stairs I'll build on the spot, not need to plan for those. :) Human door will be all the way to the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. SixChickFlock

SixChickFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Chicago - Old Irving Park
    I would add a containment tray below the roost. Mine is filled with Sweet PDZ to help keep humidity down and make most of cleanup easier. Kind of like kitty litter. The girls have been adding bedding to the tray.

I have a fairly new sub flock of 3 pullets who are a couple months younger than my main flock of 5. They all slept on the roost in the hen house until I covered three sides of the run space with clear heavy duty shower curtains. Mostly to cut the wind and keep the snow out. For the last week or so, the young ones are roosting in the protected outdoor space. I imagine they will move back indoors when the weather gets really cold and snowy. Maybe not!

I have kept the food and water in the run. Water in the house may lead to excess humidity if spilled.

Otherwise, your design looks pretty good to me!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Blasphemy! [​IMG]

Only kidding. I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I think people think chickens are new inventions that have to be treated like babies.

2 people like this.
  9. detz

Dec 3, 2014
    Massachusetts
    What about windows and light? I'm thinking of putting a big window (plexi maybe) on the big door so we can see in the house. Any issues with that?

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Natural light is good. I like an East window so the morning light hits the birds getting max benefit from light.
    Most people recommend a South window. I don't. A south window doesn't get morning light. A south window won't warm a coop at 3 AM in the dead of winter. A south window will add a lot of heat to a coop in the middle of the day in summer. Heat kills chickens, not cold.

Being able to see in is also good.
    Why not just hardware cloth for ventilation and some sort of overhang or awning to keep rain out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by