critique my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by glock3540, May 20, 2008.

1. glock3540

glock3540 New Egg

May 20, 2008
    SW PA
    I have 6 ameraucana chicks in the garage now under heat lamps. I have a concrete block dog kennel that is 5' by 6' with a run that is 5' by 8' that I plan on using as my coop. Both have concrete floors. Do chickens need grass to scratch and peck in or will the concrete floor in the run be fine. Would it greatly benefit my chickens if I extend the run another 8 feet into the grass and have half concrete/half grass

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I don't know if they have to have grass, but they sure appericate it. I haven't heard of having chickens on concrete.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Concrete is not great for their feet. Especially if it's all they've got to stand on.

If it were me, I would make sure the coop is *very well* bedded indoors. Then I would put a good thick several layers of sand over the concrete outdoor part of the run (put boards along inside the lower part of the fence to help retain the sand), and also, since you're open to the idea, I would indeed extend the run by 8' so they had real dirt to dig and poke around in. (It will not stay grassy for long [​IMG])

I would say that, yes, that *would* greatly benefit them and be worthwhile doing.

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by