Critique My Coop!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HenDaddyGV, Mar 10, 2013.

1. HenDaddyGV

HenDaddyGV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I am finishing my coop to house 4- 6 chickens, it is a 5x8 and is 6 ft tall. I am planning on painting tomorrow and wanted some feedback. The following is still to be added:

• hay in the coop and nesting boxes
    • Poop tray with pine chips and PDZ under roosting poles
    • Hanging waterer and feeder on bottom left of run
    • Locks for coop walls and run doors

Again I am looking for some adjustments I may need before finishing the final touches. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    It looks nice. I don't see much in the way of ventilation (although it might be there). Adequate ventilation, so that the moist, amonia laden air can exit the coop is important. Your birds will probably want a lot more run space than what is under the coop unless they get a lot of time to free range.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I like your larger clean out doors. It looks very sturdy. It should meet your needs. You only have 40 square feet of run space which is recommended for 4 birds only. As long as they get along well socially it may not pose much of a problem. Keeping the run clean will be your greatest challenge in my estimation. If you could move it 8 feet from time to time that would make things easier. Good luck HendaddyGV and welcome aboard New Egg.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Great coop! You could add one or two windows for more ventilation. Also your chickens will probably be roosting on top of your nesting boxes. On your run, I would add a good 2 inches of coarse sand for easy cleaning. Don't forget the oyster shells.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Good job! I concur with the others but want to add that you may wish to put a "lip" at the bottom of each coop door to prevent your shavings or straw from falling out the coop when you open the door. A board across the bottom should do the trick.

I only mention this as I learned the hard way. The first time I went to use my coop, I was shoving shavings in one door and they were falling out the other! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Here are my thoughts:

1. I would add several cut-out holes to serve as vents. Your coop will be VERY warm in hot weather! Cover the vents with mesh and wood hinged doors so that you can open or close per the weather.

2. Run looks smallish and low. You will be on our knees alot changing water, adding feed, and any cleaning down there. I would add an enclosed run from the coop in addition to what you have. One that you can walk into without ducking.

3. Nesting boxes look to be at the back of the coop and far from the access door. Will you be reaching back or climbing in there to gather eggs? They will probably roost and poop ontop of those boxes as well.

3. Roost bars look thin. I would go min 2" wide with the bars and 3" to 4" wide if you live in a cold climate.

4. I would add at least one small plexiglass window in the coop for a little natural light. A slider would be even better since it could also serve as a vent.

5. I would use pine chips instead of hay for the floor. Hay in the boxes would be ok.

6. The removable upper access doors could use door hinges. I don't think that you will enjoy removing them daily to access the coop to gather eggs/clean.

7. A lip at the doors will also keep bedding in when you open to gather eggs/clean.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to make the needed adjustments and will post the final product soon!

8. HenDaddyGV

Mar 10, 2013
    Here is the finished product. Keep in mind this bad boy stands over six feet tall so the run is higher and more accessible than the picture may show. Thanks again for the feedback y'all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    One feature I put in my coop that saved me a lot of work was roost with a 3 1/2 inch drop to poop boards. The top photo shows the edge of one of the 2x4 roosts (there are two 2x4 roost on that side). This feature also catches eggs laid through the night and the board slides out similar to a drawer for easy cleaning.

Your picture is quite deceiving I thought your structure was only about 4 feet high. My coop has only a 4' x 8' foot print and is also about 6' high with 3 levels. It house anywhere from 12 to 15 birds with no problems (it is a bit cramped in the winter months).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    I think you still need more vents and that run is very small they say 10 sq feet per bird. I use the 15+ for happy birds easy enough to build but with that current coop and run I would not put more then 3 in there.

Just to give you a idea my coop is 4X8 and 7 feet tall. my run is 8X20 (160 Sq feet) I have 9 birds in there and it still seems small to me

I am building another larger coop as I have 9 more chickens coming it will be 10X10 for the coop and 10X30 for the run for 18 birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by