Critique my DIY incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilveradoCanMan, Oct 15, 2014.

1. SilveradoCanMan

SilveradoCanMan Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    So After owning a flock for a little here, I thought I'd try my hand at incubating some eggs. I had all pieces I needed to make this except got a scrap piece of styro from Lowes for a buck, and I have a better thermometer coming in the mail. This crate is probably bigger than I need, but I think it will be easier to maintain a constant temp with the size.

I also have kept fish tanks in the past, which inspired my "baffle" design, which will allow for some airflow/oxygen to get to the eggs, while at the same time keeping the bottom of the chamber relatively stable. It will also act as a temp brooder keeping the chicks away from the dangerous stuff on the other side. I made a "double pane" viewing window to see both sides. Im going to add a egg turner tomorrow, right now I have the temp dialed in and ready to rock-n-roll!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any critiques welcome! Thanks in advance.

Mike

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    It looks great! Do you have a thermostat and a hygrometer? You are hatching eggs from your own flock?

I made a couple incubators and am working on a cabinet incubator... so fun!!

3. SilveradoCanMan

SilveradoCanMan Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Going to try without a thermostat this first go around and the hygrometer reading is on the thermometer.

I actually got some more exotic breed eggs from a member on here, not my own stock. Here's hoping everything goes well :)

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Cool, I did my first couple hatches without a thermostat, just a dimmer switch. I got a thermostat on ebay so I could hatch during the summer... they are really cheap and easy to use... $14!

Here is a link in case you need it in the future... http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-110V-Di...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ebf67fe6

If they are shipped eggs, remember to incubate them air cell up in a carton if the air cells are loose or detached and don't turn them for 3-5 days. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by