Critique my hatching checklist please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tommysgirl, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    April 1-5th collect eggs, keep in a cool room in a carton. Tip opposing ends of the carton daily

April 4th set up bator and calibrate thermometers

April 5: Shipped eggs arrive. Allow them to set next to the bator with the collected eggs for 24 hours

April 6 set eggs in evening. Keep in cartons propped on one end. Alternate ends (turn) three times a day at least but always odd number. Monitor temp...give it a while to come back up to temp after eggs go in. Keep humidity below 45

April 13 Candle and discard what needs to be discarded

April 24 Candle before lockdown increase humidity and wait...stop turning eggs

April 26-30 expect hatching play the radio next to the bator to encourage them to come out

Am I missing something obvious...any helpful hints...I have read the hatching 101 and the hatching shipping eggs tutorials and they are great. I am reading them again a couple more times but am hoping that this basic plan/timeline is solid. Thanks!

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Looks good except april 26-30 take nerve pill lol.

3. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    red golden funny post. I am sure I will be terribly nervous!

4. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I would suggest a longer set-up time on the incubator. I normally run mine for a week. If you start yours 2 days in advance of setting eggs you have little time to get something fixed, having to get new thermometers or adjustment issues The longer it runs, the more time you have to "tweek" things .

5. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I agree, run the bator as long as you can before you put the eggs in. The longer the better, minor tweaks are going to be necessary, and you don't necessarily want to tweak it while there's eggs in there. Good luck!

6. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks so much!

7. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    have been messing with the bator for a couple of weeks. We are getting close and I am excited!!!

8. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm excited for you!

9. JanO

JanO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2012
    Western Washington
    I'm going to be following this thread to see how it all turns out for you. I'm building my incubator now and will hopfully start my home brew egg collection, and order eggs from others, in a week or so.

Good luck! Keep us informed about how it's going, ok?

I think I'm just as excited as you are and I can't wait to read your progress.

10. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Well aren't you sweet! Setting eggs the evening of the 5th. I will keep you posted with pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by