Critique my roost please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by legacyln, May 7, 2008.

1. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    My dad and I constructed this roost this weekend. I need to snooth the corners of the 1x4s. What is the easiest way to do that and how much needs to come off?? Also I read a post by Speckled hen suggesting oiling the wood to facilitate cleaning-- what kind of oil?? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looking good! I'd just paint it with a good stain. If you don't file down the edges yourself, they'll be pretty round in a few years due to chicken feet.

Oh, and if those side bars are 1x2's, I'd suggest adding some more bracing to the structure if you'll have more than half a dozen hens on it. As the obsession grows, piles of hens can add up with weight. With the average girl, if you had a dozen, you'd probably have about 60-80 lbs sitting on it.

3. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    looks very nice! I wouldn't bother sanding, but that's just me.

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Love the design.
    Some don't take the time to put the roost at the correct angle to be level when attached to the side rails.

We have to use 2x4's, my chickens tend to be a bit "chunky", they would bend those 1x4's. You might have to re-enforce it if you have hefty hens like I do!
    The two of you did a great job on it, though. I wish I had it for my youngsters!

Jean

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Just a teeny question? Aren't roosts supposed to be designed so that the bird can grip the roost? I have always seen them thus and was just wondering...it seems they would just be able to stand/squat on these surfaces. Or does it matter?

6. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    We did decide to add bracing on the sides after I took this photo. I'm going to see how they do later to see if we need any bracing underneath-- I only have 7 right now and they are young. Sometime this summer we're putting up a new coop that can accomodate 30 hens and we'll have to do those roosts out of 2 x 4s. This one is for my starter coop-- hopefully I'll get to raise a batch of chicks in it every year or two!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Nope, not for chickens. If you ever get a chicken ready to sleep on your arm, they will fluff up a bit and you won't be able to feel their claws any more. They sit on their keels and their toes go flat if possible.

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think if you keep a scraper on hand to loosen poops there is no need for stain or oil...but that's just me, I like it natural! Another thing some folks do is to put a shield on the underside of the 2x4's to keep poops off other chickens, and to prevent hens from getting biten from below should something evil get in there. I hope it won't though, I bet your coop is tightened up!

Looking great...[​IMG]

9. theJH

theJH Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Also, a flat surface allows them to be able to sit on their feet in the winter. That way they dont get frozen toes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by