Critique my Silkies and Cochins for show, please? :)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPox, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    First, let me say that I know I'm asking for a SHOW critique, so I won't get my feelings hurt if you tell me your true opinion!! I love my birds anyway, I know they are not winning quality, BUT my daughter and I are still learning and these are the best birds we have (we think anyway!) [​IMG]

First, the Silkies. I feel a slight bit more confident picking out the faults in these, as I've had a touch more experience with them than the Cochins.

They are both pullets, approximately 5 and 7 months, respectively.

Sorry, these are the best pics I could get!

Non-bearded Porcelain pullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I worry about her comb and wattles. They were non-existant until about 2 weeks ago. Then they SHOT OUT! She has JUST started laying too.
    [​IMG]

Bearded black pullet:
    [​IMG]

Cochins next post....

2. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I'm not as familiar with Cochins, haven't done as much research I guess. But I feel like these guys are probably a little young still. And these are the best I have, in my only very slightly educated opinion! [​IMG]

Red Pullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I worry about her lack of cushion and the darkness in her tail feathers:
    [​IMG]

White Cockeral:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Pullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I"m worried a bit about vulture hocks. Either I am not looking at the right thing, or every single one of my birds have them! [​IMG]

So! I'm all ears and can take the heat! [​IMG]

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I don't know much about showing chickens, but I think yours are very pretty! I hope some experts chime in soon!

4. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Thanks Allie! I don't know anything about it either, but I'm trying to learn! My daughter (the one holding the birds in the pics) is wanting to learn too! It's something we are trying to get into together. There is a who coming up we want to try, but we don't want to get DQ'd! That's all I ask out of the ones I end up taking, if any! [​IMG]

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I definitely don't think you would be DQ'd!

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    try posting your cochins on the cochin thread....they will have your answers

7. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I hope not! I do worry more about the cochins for the DQ's. I'm afraid that every one of them has vulture hocks. [​IMG] Which stinks so much! I had some that showed a better cushion or comb, but had (to me) obvious vulture hocks. I suppose I could get pics of them just to verify with the experts!

I don't suppose folks show frizzled Cochins, do they? Hmmmmmmmm.........

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't really tell on the cochins. Are you able to get them in a natural posture while on the ground? Many time when they're roosting they don't show their cushions to best advantage.

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    dosent look like there any dqs what kind of show it it apa or 4h

10. ChickenPox

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    I can try to get better pics next week, but to be honest, most of the cushions aren't much bigger when they are standing naturally. They are a bit bigger though.

And it's not a 4H show, so I guess it's the other! [​IMG] I went to the Newnan show, and I know that we won't even be close to competitive at this one......those birds were BEAUTIFUL! Honestly, we just don't want to get laughed out of the room, haha!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by