1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Critique this Silkie cockerel

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by racuda, Oct 27, 2009.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Out of 6 Silkies, I have 4, maybe 5 cockerels. I've heard 4 of them crow so far. The good thing about that is that I have lots of choices to pick the best one!

This is the best boy out of the bunch. I would like your honest opinion of him. He is 16 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take any feet pictures, but he has 5 well placed toes on each foot.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Very nice! Good breeder bird. Maybe show? Time will tell on that. Give him a few months to fill out. [​IMG]

3. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I think he is very nice indeed!
    What were you wanting to do with him? Show or what?
    Wish i had a nice white boy like him myself!!!!
    I raised some Blue chicks the last week of September, here is pic of one of my little "boys"
    [​IMG]
    Sure seems much smaller than yours, but they really do change quick and grow like weeds!

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    He's gorgeous but I'm not a silkie show person, just a fan. I've a black about the same age that I want to get a picture of so I can get some opinions. I'd be happy with a male that looked like that at this point.

I ended up with 3 roos and two pullets - I think. If the rain and light would let me take pictures... ugh...

5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    He is very nice I just bought one like him myself the other day!

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I think once he fills out, I would take him to a show and see how he does. He is very nice.

7. racuda

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the replies. I've never shown, but if he is good enough I would like to. I have a pullet that is probably his equal, so I would like to pair them, next spring.

8. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Hes very nice where did you get him?

9. racuda

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I hatched him and 5 others from eggs that I got from Bobbi Porto.

10. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    All I can say is WOW. Yes that is one nice looking boy. Bobbi really produces some nice birds. I have a roo from her that just started breeding. His first batch of eggs are in the incubator now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by