1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Critter Gitter"

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WilsonAcres, Jul 20, 2011.

1. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    Has anyone heard of this or used this? we're getting ideas for our chicken coop and already have predator problems {stupid fox [​IMG] } any input is greatly appreciated [​IMG] some way..some how I see this thing possibly scaring me more than anything else lol

http://www.wholesalechickencoops.com/critter gitter.html

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think if it worked like it sez the world would have beaten a path to their door. I never heard of them(it).

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

WilsonAcres,

Hmmm. Interesting idea. The link didn't show me the power source, price or other info. maybe I should have clicked on image.

I have 'solar night eyes'. Solar powered, photovoltaic, magnetic on back, but also have holes for screws.

Only have had chickens since April--- Infact--this is my 3-month anniversary with my chix. No predator attacks. I can say that solar night eyes are very photo sensitive to light up, are very easily charged...charge themselves and last all night long--- dusk to dawn.

If you get crittergetters, and they work for you --> post back. (kind of hard to do a double blind scientific study though, isn't it?)

Good luck out smarting stupid fox.

Wonder what variety of sounds it would emit during the night----and if it would allow you to get any sleep. ;O)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. WilsonAcres

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    brand new to chickens we've had ducks for a couple years tho only had predator problems the last few months. ...
    I also didn't see a price or anything think I may go with the "night eyes" at least I can find info on those [​IMG]
    I also wonder exactly what kind of noises it does because our coop is goin right next to our bedroom window and I can just see this thing scaring the poop outta me in the middle of the night [​IMG]

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    When you think of all the "startling audible high pitched sounds" that animals can make as they are being killed, I would think predators can pretty much tune all of that out when they are hungry enough.

6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Seems many weren't too happy with it.

I'd spend that money towards a good live trap that will last for years and doesn't need batteries

8. WilsonAcres

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    Thank you for all the opinions and help definitely staying with traps and /or night eyes!! this product is such a great idea I wish it worked maybe in a few years when they get all the bugs worked out thanks again guys![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by