Critter Hill Coop DONE! (many PICs)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CritterHill, May 11, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    I'm updating this old thread with the finished product. DH just finished enclosing the run today!

The coop is 8'x8'. It's 10 feet tall in the front and 8 feet tall in the back.

The run is approx 30'x20'.

We have eleven polish chickens (currently 11 weeks old) in it.

In the beginning:
    [​IMG]

We had a frame:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some plywood:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the plywood looked awful, so we added siding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some paint and a little trim:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the inside:
    [​IMG]

Skylights!
    [​IMG]

Roosts 6 feet up (because the coop is ridiculously tall):
    [​IMG]

Roost Ladder thing:
    [​IMG]

Fully furnished and occupied:
    [​IMG]

We had a run building party where we poured many THOUSANDS of pounds of concrete:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front of the coop/run:
    [​IMG]

Back of the coop/run:
    [​IMG]

Detail of how the front door was enclosed so we could leave it open in the summer for ventilation:
    [​IMG]

Run roof:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy chickens:
    [​IMG]

At some point we will add a ramp for the pop door and fill the holes in the run where the support poles are with more dirt/rock/concrete. There are always a few minor details to be worked out. But for now, they are safe and it is fully functional.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. GlacierNan

GlacierNan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Looks fabulous! The siding looks great, and the paint and trim just finishes it off so nice!![​IMG][​IMG]

3. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    I love your skylight feature...what is it that you used and where did you get it? Cost?

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Nice coop! I totally love the ceiling!!! [​IMG] What is the material you used for the ceiling called? Is it pricey? Is it pretty strong and waterproof?

5. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    The ceiling is tuftex poly carb panels. Their web site is here:

http://www.tuftexpanel.com/polycarb.htm

I got it from lowes and recall that the price was cheaper than plywood, shingles, tar, and flashing which was the other option, but can't remember exactly how much it was per panel... (and I can't seem to find it on their website right now)

edited to add

Found some! On amazon of all places... $344 for 10 sheets of 26 inch by 12 foot panels. At lowes, you can buy it by the sheet - thinking back, about $40 per sheet sounds about right. Link to the amazon sale (note that this is for the white, not the clear - couldn't find the clear stuff online)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZ0X2O?smid=AEWYNDAJ4QAA9&tag=nextag-tools-tier3-20&linkCode=asn

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  6. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Their marketing glossy says that it is strong, but the stuff is pretty thin. We are getting a wicked storm tonight, so we will find out tonight just how waterproof it is. Again, their marketing material says it is just wonderful for all sorts of outdoor applications, but the proof is in the pudding and we will see how it survives tonight's storm.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That looks great. I love the use of the natural lighting.

Very nice coop. I will keep my fingers crossed on the storm.

8. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Well, the storm report is that the roof held up fine, even with the wind we got. And the whole coop is nice and dry! Woo!

Now if only tractor supply would hurry up and get my roll of welded wire fencing in, we could get a move on the run!

9. Titaniumcranium

Titaniumcranium Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm using that stuff for my roof too.I got the opaque tan not the clear.Was a little cheaper.I don't think I got enough tho.Gonna have to go back and get a couple more pieces.Was only like $12 for a 26" x 8' long for the opaque.I'm hoping to save on the weight using it also as I want my coop portable.

10. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    We already have shingles for our new coop, however, perhaps we can use that Tuftex Poly Carb for part of our covered run....hmmmm my hubby's going to love that idea...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by