Critter Hill Polish Chick Update (PICs)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CritterHill, May 12, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Well, looks like the cute fuzzies are starting to hit the awkward prickly stage. In total, there are 5 white crested blues (though the wing feathers on 3 are black - did I get WC blacks by accident? Or will it lighten I wonder?), 5 gold laced, and one buff laced.

Here they are at delivery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and now in their new prickly stage at 2 weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At what point can I be _sure_ I got all hens and no roos?

Also, these are hatchery chicks (Meyer) not show quality I assume, but at what point can I tell the "prettiness" of them? They are looking kindof shabby at this stage, but I am guessing that is pretty normal, what with only a few feathers and all.

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I can't answer any of your questions, but those are some really cute chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    wait until they are three weeks old. i think that polish look the worst between 3-4 weeks of age.
    i cant wait yntil my wcbp hatch. 17 days to go.

4. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    I have 8 buff laced polish from MMH that are now 5 wks old, at this point I still have no idea which are roos and which are pullets....I orginally ordered 10...8 pullets and 2 roos....but I lost 2 along the way....as hatchery chicks their colors so far are not real great a couple have nice buff color and the others are very pale,,,,a couple have some really great crests forming....all this said they're really cute and I'm pleased with them as my goal wasn't for show chickens anyway. One thing I learned they do much better when kept away from big stock chicks.

5. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Yeah, I have one buff laced that is looking pretty yellow... I'm really hoping the gold laced look a bit more striking full grown than their initial wing feathers do.

The white crested blues look pretty cool already though - even if 3 turn out to be WC blacks instead.

Well, we will see. I did try to find a breeder to buy these chicks from, but no luck!

I wasn't going for show quality either, mostly just going for "cool looking".

RobinEgg - Do you have pics of yours?

6. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I just love polish! Yours are very cute!!

I was told that you can identify by their crest/top hat. My "boy" and "girl" are 12 weeks old.

This is a buff laced from MMH that I think is a girl
    [​IMG]

This is a golden laced from MMH that I think is a boy, his crest is straighter up instead of rounded like the buff laced

[​IMG]

Other than that, there are no other signs or clues so far.

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    So cute. I have 2 polish silkies. One is silver and one is yellow w black stripes on its butt. May have a gold laced polish dominique too. They just hatched last night so its hard to tell. I'll get pics up soon.

8. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Oh man, they are way too cute. I can't wait!

Do you have a pic of the gold laced at 2 or 3 weeks? I'm too impatient and want to see how the wing feathers on mine compare to yours at that age. Yours is really pretty.

9. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I looked and I can't seem to find one of him at that age... and I was mistaken, after looking back at pictures, they're only 8 weeks old in those!

10. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm no help, but I just had so say I love those little pom-pom heads!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by