Critters eating my hen's eggs ~ question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GaNewChick, Apr 23, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    My chickens are wild ~ I can't get close to them. I have one that is laying her eggs under an old lawnmower on the backside of the property. She laid one, the next morning something had eaten it (I'm guessing a possum). She laid another one today ~ is it ok to bring it inside the garage at dark after she has roosted and put it back out there tomorrow morning and just keep doing that as she lays more? I'm trying to find a golf ball to replace it with in case she beats me to the nest early in the morning. Any suggestions ~ can I do this?

Thanks!

2. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have seen several people use golf balls with success. Can you catch your chickens after they go to roost at night? Just wondering..

3. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Yes ~ they roost beside the garden. One rooster and 3 hens in one tree and a lone rooster in a separate tree across from them. We get a kick out of watching them go up at night ~ all that fussing until they're comfortable. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Are you asking if it is ok to bring just the egg in and then put it back in the morning? If that is what you are asking then I don't think that would work. The egg needs constant heat if you want it to hatch. Is she sitting on the eggs or just laying them and leaving? If she is sitting then she is keeping them warm and if you take it to the garage at night the egg would be cold all night. Maybe I am confused on your question?? [​IMG]

5. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    No she is not sitting ~ she is laying and leaving. There is only 1 egg out there that she laid today. I thought I would try and help her to lay around 8 to 10 and then leave them out there and hope for the best. I'm not sure when a chicken decides she has laid enough. [​IMG]

6. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't let her set in that spot. If something like a possum or raccoon is getting the eggs, what will it do when there is a hen on them. My guess would be eating the hen. I would take the eggs away, keep them, and discourage her from using that spot somehow. When you find her new spot, put the eggs that you kept there and hope for the best.

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    If she is not setting on the eggs then she is not "broody". I don't think you can make her broody by just giving her a lot of eggs. If and when she decides to go broody you will know it. She won't leave her nest and she will sit on them day and night. It sounds like she is not in a real safe place to hatch out eggs. Whatever got her egg will certainly try to get her or any other eggs that she might have under her.

8. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    hmmm ~ This will be the second time I have to make her move her nest. The first time she was laying them by my neighbor's front door. I plugged that nest and now she is under the lawnmower. The only thing I know to do is take the egg, plug that nest and force her to go somewhere else. My coop is so close to being finished, but it doesn't have the door up yet.

Any suggestions? I can't get within 20 feet of her. They are strays....like my old boss said ~ I've heard of stray dogs and cats but never stray chickens....lol

Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by