1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Critters in coop?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Korzak, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Korzak

Korzak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hi friends! So I am adding some extern all nesting boxes to our coop, and while I am here I am also cleaning out some of the old bedding. We have a linoleum floor down, and then I have Pine shavings and for flooring/bedding, about 4 to 6 inches worth.

While I was cleaning out at least half of it, I noticed an earwig under there, and I'm off. Should I worry about these, or will the chickens just find them and be happy to eat them?

Thanks!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I do not believe earwigs are a concern....chooks might eat them.

3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My chickens LOVE earwigs. A few usually run out when I'm cleaning the coop, but they don't get very far before the chickens gobble them up.

4. Korzak

Korzak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    Thanks friends! As I was replacing some of the bedding, one of our girls climbed up into the henhouse to see what the hell I was doing, and she ate an earwig right on the spot! No worries :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you find a pile of them, call the birds(do you have a tidbitting sound-heehee?) and they'll clean them up for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by