1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

croacky rattling lavender araucana any ideas?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sid, May 13, 2011.

1. sid

sid New Egg

Mar 14, 2011
    hi i have had my lavender araucana 2 weeks she was bought with 3 other pol different breeds who are all healthy, but after we got home we noticed she had a pea sized swelling under her eye we thought it was a swollen sinus our book says probably respiratory infection and soon after she started sounding all croaky and rattly sneezing with a thick discharge around the nostril that side and a watery eye. we started her on antibiotics from the vet after a week she sounded better but the swelling and eye watering was the same, now the noise is worse and the eye is watery constantly with foamy bubbles. the other thing is we think shes gone broody being a bit withdrawn and sitting in the nest alot with thought it was because she was sick as we thought the buff orpington was laying the eggs (all the others are to young) all the eggs are pale brown but since the araucanas being off colour no eggs! too much of a coincidence? we are really new to this and could do with some help as the vet really wasnt bothered and we had to push to get anything off him.

any advice appreciated thanks.

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I doubt she is broody. It's more likely she isn't laying because she is sick, and is hiding out on the nest. Chickens don't get colds like we do, they get one or more of a series of upper respiratory infections, that, unfortunately, never completely go away. Even if the illness seems to go away, she will likely be a carrier of whatever it is, for life, and can spread it to other birds. The only way to know for sure what she has, is to either send off a blood sample, or have her necropsied by your state vet. I'm sorry this happened to you.

3. sid

sid New Egg

Mar 14, 2011
    hi im in the uk so dont know what my options are. just some more info on the possible broodiness we cleaned them out about 4 days ago and she got really upset stayed on the nest till we moved her and kept coming back even when we shut her out she kept trying to get in as we were working and got really distressed when she realised we had cleaned the nest up too in the end i had to pick her up while my hubby finished the job and she calmed down and went to sleep but when we let them all back in she wasnt happy and kept attacking anything that went near the new nests does that sound broody? she really is a cuddly chicken and i dont want to lose her.

4. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    She sounds sick and broody to me. Part of a chickens health is keeping them happy. I would put her in a crate or cage by herself. Keep giving her the anitbiotics. Let her have a few golf balls or eggs, what ever. Make sure she has food and clean water close by everyday. That is about all you can do.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by