Crocheting Vs. Knitting

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Bridget399, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    I'm thinking of beginning a new hobby to help the winter months pass. I would like to make some scarves and maybe a blanket.

Which, in your opnion, is easier, better, and /or faster? Knitting or Crocheting? And why?

[​IMG] You guys are the experts! I welcome your input!

2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I personally can crochet up a storm, knitting on the other hand takes two hands and those two hands don't communicate well together so I just can not get the hang of knitting. I suppose if I was forced to knit I could but why bother when I can crochet the way I do?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Crochet uses larger stitches and is 1 handed, knitting uses 2 tools and has smaller stitches. That said knitting works better on socks, crochet does better afgans.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Same.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    its really a matter of personal choice, I do both but I think knitting is easier. But you will find many people who will swear that crochet is easier. I would try both and see which one you take to.
    Try crochet chat and there is a knitting thread too. But you can get a lot of help on these threads. And ideas and patterns too

6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Crocheting is easier, much easier. You can pick it up and put it down without much trouble. Knitting if you drop a stitch...ohhhhh

All said, knitting is much more beautiful IMO

7. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    What little knitting I've done hasn't come to me very easily. I think I will try my luck at crocheting! Thanks!

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I do both as well, but I started with crocheting. It was easier to pick up knitting once I was really good at crocheting.

Crochet is easier and I can do it in the dark and without looking at my hands. This makes it useful for the gajillion hours I spend watching rehearsals and for TV watching. Crochet makes great scarves and afghans are easy peasy.

Knitting has better patterns. There is a limit to what you can crochet. It takes more coordination, but I find it soothing as well. I'm faster at crochet, but make better projects with knitting.

Learn both. [​IMG]

9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:have you seen the new lighted crochet hooks I just got one and can't wait to use it, The tip is has a light in it. Soooo cool

10. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    This is such a great thread! I have been wanting to look into crocheting and knitting to make blankets for DH and I. Mu concern is that I'll end up making a blanket withe big holes in it that always end up getting caught on my big toe. [​IMG] I see these large afghans with only small holes, so it keeps you warm AND you don't get all tangled up in it. I just don't know which method makes that! I will definitely be watching what people post on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by