Crock Pot Chicken Stock

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by crawfordmama, Nov 18, 2010.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Has anyone made chicken stock in their slow cooker/crock pot? I have a gas stove, but don't want to use 4 hours worth of propane to make it.

2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't just use the same recipe as you would using the stove.

Less liquid would be needed as there's very little evaporation with a crockpot

I may try this myself as I've been making chicken soup/stock using a microwave pressure-cooker but it only holds about a quart.
    If I do, I'll post back here & let you know what needed tweaking [​IMG]

3. FloridaDoulaMama

FloridaDoulaMama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2010
    sarasota, florida
    This is the only way I do it... and it is so easy. I take 1 chickens worth of bones, and a 6 quart crock. 1 whole onion and scraps on 3 more, inc skins (good for cloring the stock) plus 3-4 carrots, 3-4 celery stalks, and fresh herbs, and pepper. I don't salt it till I'm ready to use it. Fill with water, and cook on low 6-8 hours.

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Excellent! Thanks for the replies.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the same recipe as I do for stove-top stock. Most of the time I let it cook in the slow cooker overnight. It's awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by