Crock Pot/Electric Fry Pan Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SeaHen, May 15, 2010.

1. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I've just spent the last couple hours reading 2-year-old posts on the fry-pan method of hatching eggs. The results were discouraging. Has anyone EVER been successful using kitchen appliances as incubators? I'm more curious than interested in pursuing it myself, but it seems like it should work if the temperature could be adjusted and the other necessary modifications made for humidity, air circulation, etc. I tried to incubate eggs on a heating pad once with no success, but I'm sure I've heard of it working before. My DH has a Fry Daddy with a metal basket that looks perfect for holding eggs, but the lowest temperature it can be adjusted to is like 350, so I guess that's out. I just found an old crock pot with a "warm" setting that I'm going to check the temperature on just for the heck of it. We have no shortage of fertile eggs this time of year, so I could do some experimenting, but I would have a problem starting chicks that end up dying in the shell because of my stupidity. Would love to hear your feedback and experiences!

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Hi. I remember reading about the use of crock pots. The research I have read said they only reach a low of 110 degrees making them to hot to work. Good luck on your search.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by