crock pot or electric fry pan, which is better?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sis, Oct 8, 2008.

1. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    If you only had these choices, which would you use for a incubator and why?
    which one have you tried and pro and cons?
    How exactly would I do this?
    Thank you
    Kathleen

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Crock pot IF you have the ability to adjust the heat more than just "low" and "hi". Low would be much too hot.

Most electric fry pans have more adjustment potential.

3. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    IF that were my only 2 choices I would not bother with killing the fertilized eggs.

However eggs in a frying pan go good with potatoes .

4. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG] I have never used either of those...I made the chick bator (styrofoam) that was documented by MissPrissy....it works great! You can click on the "Search" heading at the top of the page and search for skillet or crock pot to find what others have done...
    Good luck!
    ~Rebecca

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I tried both of these when I fried my hatching eggs (my own, at least), putting in the dead eggs to try and stabilize temps. I know people have done it successfully, but I couldn't. Both attempts ended way too hot, and with me unable to adjust it better. You could try it with a few unimportant eggs as a dry run and see if either of yours will maintain good temps before putting in hatching eggs.

Good luck!

6. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I tried making one out of a crockpot and a dimmer..
    Not sure if it was the house wiring or what..But Whenever I would use a major appliance, it seemed to throw off the dimmer..It would either go totally off, or go too high..

I'm now working on a 'bator out of an old igloo cooler [​IMG]

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You can buy a still air incubator for under $50. Why waste your time trying to hatch eggs in kitchen appliances? It's got to be frustrating because I just don't believe it's possible. If you don't have $50 save up until you do.

8. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    I have a couple of older styrofoam incubators with fans. I would sell them for $30.00 each, plus shipping. I also have a couple of turners that may or may not work. I'll throw them in for free.

Don't fool around with stuff that isn't meant for hatching eggs. All you will accomplish is to ruin a bunch of possibly expensive eggs and frustrate yourselves.

I saved for a couple of years and finally got enough to buy an old Humidaire. It is the absolute Cadillac of 'bators. Of course, there is no substitute for the original (the broody hen).

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:[​IMG]

10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:Hey where do you live jhm47! I would be interested in that deal!!!! Cannot ever have enough incubators!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by