Crock Pot Tomato Sauce?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Aug 9, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I was thinking I've been so busy, and I want to get some sauce done could I use a crockpot and let it simmer for the day to jar later tonight?

Anyone have a recipe they want to share?

I have a good 8 lbs of tomatoes looking to be either salsa or tomato sauce. Going to go blanch them while I wait for someone to share their favorite recipe.

(I will be using fresh herbs not dried if anyone can convert that for me.)

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Hmmm don't have a crock pot recipe but here's one I want to try when I get more tomatoes:

Tomato preserves

4 1/2 cups tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 package Pectin
    Rind of l lemon plus juice -- (I use 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind and 1/4 cup lemon juice)
    7 cups sugar
    1/2 tsp all spice
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cloves

Skin tomatoes and mince. Measure pulp, lemon juice, rind, salt and spices into a large sauce pan; add pectin and bring to a boil.
    Add sugar and bring to a full, rolling boil for 4 minutes. Skim and pour into jars. Process in water bath for 10 minutes.

Lady here locally makes it and was nice enough to pass on the recipe [​IMG]

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
  4. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Thank you KD! I think I will give this a try! [​IMG]

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I use the tomatoe sauce recipe in the Ball Blue Book....but I throw it in the cockpot and let it cook down over night. Use a splash screen instead of the lid so that steam can escape - helps it to thicken.

6. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well I went ahead and made it last night, with a few flavor changes for me... it came out great... but needed more like 5 hours of cooking time and I had the cut recipe down as I didn't have enough tomatoes after blanching and chopping! It was fantastic though, we had some for dinner and still I had enough left to put up 3 pints. [​IMG]

I will make more with my next couple of tomato harvests. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by