Crook in neck and can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JD, Nov 29, 2010.

1. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have a brahma/leghorn mix that is 6 to 7 months old that can not stand and her neck is twisting under. No nasal discharge or running or cloudy eyes. She will eat and drink on her on and is alert with red comb and wattles. She was hatched out of my own stock and no one else has these symtoms. I've also check food for mold. I have been giving her scrambled eggs, baby vitamin without iron and duramycin-10 for two days which contain tetracycline. I also have Terramycin which has oyytetracycline HCI. I don't know how much to mix of either and want to do it with a dropper. I have been adding about 1/8ts to a little water and dissolving and been giving that to her through dropper. Does any one know what can be wrong and what dosage should be given and how many times a day?

2. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    My hen once hatched 8 chicks, and I lost one, because he also had a crooked neck and it would not straighten out. No other chicks had that problem. I tried to put a kind of a cast on the chick's neck, but I reckon it hurt the little fellow because he began squeking. I tried watering and feeding him, but over a few days he still didn't get better, in fact worse. One morning I found he'd passed away. I don't know any solutions, but hope yours fares better.[​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It is often caused by a vitamin deficiency, Silkies are more prone to it but it can happen in other breeds. Use vitamin E gel caps along with the other vitamins. Vitamin E is very important, pierce a hole in the gel cap and squeeze into the beak, often they will eat it happily. If they are the small gel caps, do 2, 2 X times daily. If large ones, one twice a day. it can often be 2 weeks before vast improvement is seen. I have a Silkie hen now that had a relapse after a year of being fine. She is just now showing improvement after a week.

4. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Thank you for replying. I have dealt with the crooked neck thing with a silkie in the past and she is doing fine. But I don't think this is the same thing as that because she won't stand up. She will lift her head to eat tho when I go feed her but still will not stand. I saw a dosage of 1/4 cc of tylan to be given somewhere on here but I don't know the ratio of water and how much powder to mix. I'm trying to do this with a dropper. Can you help on this? I still don't know what I'm dealing with.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

If it was from mold, they normally get over it with in a week. Her her neck is twisted badly she may not get up, but if she has no use of her legs or has lost control of them , it could be something else. I would still try the vitamin E as it has helped me with injured birds that lost control over their legs from a back injury. If no improvement then if could be MS, Mareks, or some other affliction. It can be very difficult to tell. Worms can also cause weakness that leads to vitamin loss that leads to various limb weakness....... I wish I had more answers for you. [​IMG]

6. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Ok thank you, I'll give her a vitamin e once a day. Think I should continue the antibotic and would you know how to dose and how much since I'm giving by the dropper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by