Crook neck leghorn chick

chickwalla

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2016
Hi all! My dad and I ordered 25 chicks from a hatchery to split up between us, they are about a week and a half old now. I noticed 4 days ago that one of the leghorn chicks has crook neck. I thought about separating her, as the other chicks knock her over, but other than that she's doing well. She's eating and drinking, and is as lively as the rest.
Is there something I should be doing? Is it likely she will live and grow up and lay?

Hi all! My dad and I ordered 25 chicks from a hatchery to split up between us, they are about a week and a half old now. I noticed 4 days ago that one of the leghorn chicks has crook neck. I thought about separating her, as the other chicks knock her over, but other than that she's doing well. She's eating and drinking, and is as lively as the rest.
Is there something I should be doing? Is it likely she will live and grow up and lay?

Wry neck most likely. Treat with vitamins and make sure she continues to eat/drink. Adding a bit of molasses or sugar to your chicks water tends to keep everyone quite perky. Perky chicks are hungry chicks, hungry chicks are healthier chicks
wink.png

You could try supplementing her with either straight vitamin E or vitamin E-rich products, such as Rooster Booster Vitamin, Probiotic, and Electrolyte powder, Nutri-drench, or even molasses.
smile.png
I had great success treating wry neck this way!

~Alex

I just looked up wry neck, and it says it makes the chick look up? My chick looks more like a hunchback, like it can't extend its neck.

Looking up in the air is called stargazing one of the symptoms of wry neck.Wry neck is a vitamin e and selenium deficiency.You are going to need vitamin b and e and selenium.The faster you treat it the more likely she will come out of it.Separate her stress will make wry neck worse.Dont give her vitamin a it decreases the absorption of e.

Go to the store and pick up vitamin e,selenium and vitamin b.

Give her 400iu twice a day with vitamin e.Also selenium is very toxic so do not overdose but the dosage it 25mcg a day.And just give her one vitamin b tablet you cant overdose a chicken with vitamin b.I have dealt with wry neck that's why i know also massage her neck it seems to help

It's more that she's always hunched, her neck feels like it has a crook in it. It was hard to get a good picture,it wasn't happening with me holding her, but you can see compare her to the other chicks in this photo.

Back
Top Bottom