Crook neck leghorn chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickwalla, Oct 23, 2016.

1. chickwalla

chickwalla Just Hatched

Oct 23, 2016
    Hi all! My dad and I ordered 25 chicks from a hatchery to split up between us, they are about a week and a half old now. I noticed 4 days ago that one of the leghorn chicks has crook neck. I thought about separating her, as the other chicks knock her over, but other than that she's doing well. She's eating and drinking, and is as lively as the rest.
    Is there something I should be doing? Is it likely she will live and grow up and lay?

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Wry neck most likely. Treat with vitamins and make sure she continues to eat/drink. Adding a bit of molasses or sugar to your chicks water tends to keep everyone quite perky. Perky chicks are hungry chicks, hungry chicks are healthier chicks [​IMG].

3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try supplementing her with either straight vitamin E or vitamin E-rich products, such as Rooster Booster Vitamin, Probiotic, and Electrolyte powder, Nutri-drench, or even molasses. [​IMG] I had great success treating wry neck this way!

~Alex

4. chickwalla

chickwalla Just Hatched

Oct 23, 2016
    I just looked up wry neck, and it says it makes the chick look up? My chick looks more like a hunchback, like it can't extend its neck.

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does she look like this?
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looking up in the air is called stargazing one of the symptoms of wry neck.Wry neck is a vitamin e and selenium deficiency.You are going to need vitamin b and e and selenium.The faster you treat it the more likely she will come out of it.Separate her stress will make wry neck worse.Dont give her vitamin a it decreases the absorption of e.

Go to the store and pick up vitamin e,selenium and vitamin b.

Give her 400iu twice a day with vitamin e.Also selenium is very toxic so do not overdose but the dosage it 25mcg a day.And just give her one vitamin b tablet you cant overdose a chicken with vitamin b.I have dealt with wry neck that's why i know also massage her neck it seems to help

7. chickwalla

chickwalla Just Hatched

Oct 23, 2016
    It's more that she's always hunched, her neck feels like it has a crook in it. It was hard to get a good picture,it wasn't happening with me holding her, but you can see compare her to the other chicks in this photo. [​IMG]

8. chickwalla

chickwalla Just Hatched

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    A hunched over crooked neck is normal my chicken has that

10. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Hunched up chicks can be a sign that they have coccidiosis. Treat with corid and see if it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by