Crooked baby chick feet-1 month old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beckyg718, Jan 6, 2011.

1. beckyg718

beckyg718 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Capron, IL
    UGH, I thought I posted my question so if it's a duplicate, I apologize.

Incubator hatched chicks, 1 month old, (second batch), my first batch was fine, second batch has developed crooked toes. A couple were born that way, I tried to fix but they turned back in. Was the floor too cold for them to develop this problem? I'm ruling out genetics as they are from the same strain as the first batch(and my third batch born this week are fine also-perfect feet).

SO, question is can I do the band-aid method/pipe cleaner method on the feet at this age or another method? Should I leave on longer than a week or change and reapply if still crooked? I hate to kill them all, trying to populate pullets for eggs, roosters will go anyway. They are all walking fine right now, but I fear when they gain size, they will go down or have trouble walking.

Suggestions fellow chicken pros?
    Thanks,
    Becky

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG]

My first question is this: Are they walking ok? Are they eating and drinking ok? Acting normal?

3. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    If they are walking fine now I would say they will be ok if you don't do anything. I had one, who I hadn't realized had crooked toes and he was fine when he grew up, walked fine, ate fine ect. I don't know anything about fixing them though as I have never done that. Good luck!

4. beckyg718

beckyg718 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Capron, IL
    They are healthy little peeps, doing great, moving about, fluttering, trying to fly, etc. No issues health-wise, so I guess I will let them be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by