Crooked Beak Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JuicyFatHead, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    One of my chickens (5 weeks?) I JUST noticed somehow has a crooked beak. It looks like she's eating. She barely opens it really and is pretty skittish.. I've never experienced this and I would love people's take on it. Put her down? I have never put down an animal in my life. I guess that might be part of chicken raising? What can I do to help her live? Will she be able to forage with the rest of my flock? Or will I have to hand feed her? I'm so confused! I'd love any info/opinions!

2. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    You'll get varied opinions, surely.

I suppose the first question is regarding your intentions and sensibilities-- raising for breeding / selling, or pets / egg-laying?

Is the beak crooked or crossed? Do you think it's getting worse? Is she smaller or lighter than the rest?

I would think if she can eat, then she can adapt, especially since she's still growing. Although if the others (how many others, btw?) prevent her from eating down the road, are you willing to get involved and take her aside to let her nibble? You could always wax pacifist and let the fittest survive. And/or try to patiently wait and see. I've been astonished and impressed at chickens' will and ability to survive. You just never know... the runt may turn out victorious.

P.S. Just curious-- what sort of chicken?

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a 12 week old EE hen that has a straight top beak but her bottom one goes off to side. She is a little smaller than others her age but she seems to be doing pretty well eating in deep dish type feeder. I have hanging type waterer and a nipple waterer and have seen her drink from both. I don't know how much grass she can get but it doesn't stop her from trying. I have to keep a eye on her as if the others want to start picking and pulling feathers they will pick at her first. Last week some of them picked out most of her tail feathers and she was bloody but I treated her with Blue Kote and they have left her alone since. She doesn't seem to be worried so, I'm doing a wait a see. I don't plan to breed her but, If it gets too bad for her I will cull her.

4. JuicyFatHead

JuicyFatHead Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    WNC
    Quote:Oh gosh, I left out a lot of info! [​IMG] I sell eggs, but started out keeping chickens for pets/eggs.

The beak is crossed, pretty badly. I will get a photo up soon. I think it is definitely worse, because I never noticed it before. I was gone on a 5 day trip and had family take care of the chickens, when I got back I first noticed it.

She looks the same size as everyone else. I see her sitck her head into the feeder, and I guess she is eating, I can't see if she ever gets any into her mouth.. but I'm guessing so? About 48 other chickens. I'm definitely willing to get involve and help her live. I've got two blind dogs and I'm not adverse to assisting special need animals! Chickens are so different.. I'm not sure what to do!

She is a white Plymouth Rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by