Crooked beak = dead chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Allen Family Farm, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Allen Family Farm

Allen Family Farm New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    I purchased some chicks through mail order. Out of 3 Buff Silkies one was a little small and not too sure on his feet. It occasionally would have a seizure. I was surprised that this chick lived very long at all. After about 2-3 weeks I noticed that its beak was crooked. This continued to get worse and worse. I knew that this bird would have to learn to make it on its own. It never grew very big and after 5 weeks it died, I assume because it was not able to take enough water on a hot day.
    Was this a birth defect, genetic or was there something that I did wrong?

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You didn't do anything wrong [​IMG] it could of either been genetic or the incubation temp/humidity was all wrong. Some crossbeaks live and some just aren't strong enough. I have a banty that has a little crooked beak and she's around 1 1/2 years old and still thriving.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It's nothing you did wrong at all. Most cross beaks are skull deformities due to incubation issues or genetic like attack chicken mentioned. I too have a cross beak hen with tremors who has been with me for 2 years now. SOme make it and some may have more issues going on then the eye can see [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by