Crooked Beak & Lice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by branston, Sep 27, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I had an infestation of lice (tiny pale grey bugs) about 2 months ago so dusted every bird with a poultry dust and completely removed all shaving and sprayed Permethrin in the coop and got rid of them pretty fast.
    Yesterday, I picked up my crooked beak to feed her and again, saw the bugs on my arm (this is how I found them last time too)! Is it my crooked beak that is causing the infestations because she can't groom herself properly? I take good care of my chickens and my coop comes with maid service EVERY day.
    I need to re-spray the whole coop and dust ALL the birds AGAIN but my question is, if it is my crooked beak bringing these bugs to the flock, how often can I dust her with DE to stop this happening again?
    Also, I have a horrible feeling that I have brought these lice into Big Mama's brooder (which is in my dining room) as I saw her stratching frantically yesterday and her two chicks, born on the 21st, seem to have the odd itch too. How do I treat Big Mama, the chicks and her brooder?
    Many thanks

2. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Come on you chicken experts......I'm desperate here and itchy!

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about the lice. We use a natural enzyme spray on our cross beak. It's called "Poultry Protector" by Manna Pro. If you keep her sprayed she shouldn't pick any new ones up and you won't have worry about the others. Or, spray the others too after you re-dust.

4. ChicknCharm

ChicknCharm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Alpine
    Hi, I am looking for worming advice, but may be able to suggest something. Our Crook Beak (actual name) has the same problem, we have been trying eprinex which is topical liquid with no withdrawal time. Great thing is you just dab about 1/2cc on their skin and it is supposed to kill the external and internal parasites, at least some of them. It is a cattle product, we are in West Texas and do what we can with what is available. Like all products that are convenient, so it seems, it is not tested or marketed for chickens. I found out about it here. I think it will work on lice, the pamphlet mentions at least 4 species.

Good luck! Our Crook Beak was very sick a year ago and we almost lost her. Malnurished and parasites. We had to hand feed her, trim her beak, the vet gave her a shot of ivermectrin (sp?)...but we have been doing the eprinex since then. She seems Ok, not very pretty, but happy.

5. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Reikistar.......I have that poultry protector! How often do you you spray her?

chickncharm........I hatched my chickens in April and haven't wormed them. I read on here that some people do, some don't. Not sure if I'm doing the right thing in not worming, as my chickens free range, but I figured, I clean their coop every day and haven't seen any signs of worms.
    Thanks for the tip on the eprinex. I have read on here that some use frontline too. So glad you managed to save your crooked beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by