Crooked Beak-Please Help!

ncgnance

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Iredell County, NC
I just noticed that one of my three silkies has a crooked beak. I had to cull one of these chicks just last week, and I don't think I can do it again. I remember a discussion some time back on this site about crooked beak. Does anyone remember where it is? Please help if you do. I'm not cut out for this part of raising babies...

I had a Salmon Favorelle that I had to cull last week because of a crooked beak. Within 3-4 days it went from being ok to her face become deformed.

I do know that I was told that you can carefully trim their beak, but I am not sure how to do it. Good Luck with your little one.

There was a thread a while back about gassing as a means of culling. I think this is the thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19528&p=1

This thread caught my eye because I have a banty cochin whose entire skull is twisted. She looks realy funny but is thriving and doing well. She's about 3 months old now and was a craigslist rescue. She has a harder time eating bugs than the other chickens but eats feed and greens with no problems at all. I'm hoping for many, many little eggs from her.

If you just want eggs or meat, there's no reason to cull this bird unless it fails to grow/thrive. Just don't allow it to breed.

Good luck with whatever your decision is. You'll get support either way here.

We kept our crooked beak EE. (Madison, 1 YEAR OLD) She requires hand feeding twice a day and some help with grooming but she is a doll baby! Plan to keep her a long long time! Her personality saved her from culling!

madison-1.jpg

Thanks to all of you. I was very upset last nite when I saw the little crooked beak. Our rir, Gorgeous, is very sweet, and I'm glad I didn't cull her, but it is time consuming making sure that she is getting enough food and water. So maybe I'll wait and see just how deformed this little one will be. But, if she does have to be culled, I will find a vet or someone else to do it. Thanks again.

I have a crooked beaked 2 month old rooster. He is a pretty tough little guy. He is definately behind on his development, but he is catching up.

Sounds like where ever you got them has a bad set of breeders and that it is genetic. If it is small enough, they can do fine, but if it inhibits eating and drinking, then you may want to think more about keeping them around.

Back
Top Bottom