1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crooked beak with an impacted crop.....help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by branston, Nov 5, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    My 7 month old crooked beak seems to have developed an impacted crop. Her crop hasn't gone down since yesterday morning and she won't accept any food (we syringe feed her 3 times a day with Lafeber's nutritional support and organice baby food, grren beans, peas, peaches, apples etc) This morning I got some olive oil down her and massaged her crop for a good 10 minutes. Is there anything else I should be doing? Many thanks

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I'm sorry about your baby!

I haven't had to deal with an impacted crop (knock on wood), but I think you need to keep at it with the olive oil and massages to get it down. I would try a few more times in the same day. Other than crop surgery, I'm not sure what else would help.

3. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    thank you Crawfordmama for your help! C'mon you chicken experts! I REALLY need you now! Please help! My kids and I will be devastated if we lose this little hen!

4. tac

tac New Egg

May 13, 2008
    Stanford , Kentucky
    Hello.
    I just went throuh this with one of my hens . I talked to an old farmer down the road, and he told me to give her some
    honey he said about a tee spoon full . He said the honey will kill the backteria in her crop. He said he hasent lost a
    chicken or turcky yet . I cant tell you how it worked because when I got back from his house my hen was dead.
    Hpoe this helps and good luck.
    TAC.

5. branston

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Thanks so much to all that replied and thanks for the honey tip, that's brilliant! Our crooked beak is now doing fine and everything is moving again, thank goodness! I gave her olive oil 3 times during yesterday along with plently of water, massaged her crop several times and it did the trick! Will definately write that down about the honey!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Keep doing what you're doing. Oil and liquidy food. And try to massage the mass 3-4 times a day. I had one hen that took a week, and one that took 2 weeks. Both got better and I noticed they were pooping out alot of fiberous stuff, so I knew the blockage was moving along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by