Crooked Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miyashi, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have a chick with a very crooked beak. She's about 6 weeks old. I have to feed her a wet mash several times a day. Some days it's hard as everyone in the house has a job. I was wondering if anyone had any severely cross beaked chicks that made it? She's an Americauna (sp) and my bantam chicks are starting to outgrow her. I have to Black Austrolorp chicks that are much much bigger than her. I talked to a vet the other day and she said the best thing would be to put her to sleep....I think this is very sad as she's a happy lively little bird. She has grown plenty of feathers, but her body size would suggest that the rest of her hasn't grown much at all. Her beak was hardly crooked when I bought her...I figured it was crooked enough that someone else may not have bought her...or even given her a fair chance...
    If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post a picture of her later.

2. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Someone please! Halp!
    I've seen a few birds on here that have made it and their beaks are the same as hers, or at least it looks the same.
    If anyone has any personal stories or anything, that would be fantastic!

3. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Help help help! Please please please!

4. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Funny I have had 1000's of chicks and only had this one breed become cross beaked. Must be a bad genetic trait.

I have seen one Easter Egger with this trait as a year old, but they struggle along.

Unfortunately I agree with your vet, I don't really think she is happy having to struggle to eat.

5. brownegger

brownegger Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I agree with ggrap on this one. Any chicks I have seen with this trait, struggled and never made it too far. They cannot properly feed and it becomes harder on them as they get older. I'm sorry but, I felt it should be said. You can give her lots of special attention if you dare get that involved and maybe prolong her a bit. Truth is though, that the chicken is not ever going to live out its full potential with that trait. Best of luck and my condolences.

6. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I have a 4 week old Black Australorp named "Gimp" with an extremely crooked beak. I have 4 others of the same breed and they are much bigger than her. I open the run door in the evenings, and let them free range for an hour or so. All of them like to get out there and do runway takeoffs, including Gimp. Running and flapping their wings.
    We have decided that we do not have the extra time to care for her separately and to let nature take its course with her. She shows us she's happy, she eats and drinks with the rest of them but she is considerably smaller. Her body is the same size, but her legs are short!! And she waddles. I don't get too attached to my chickens, but I guess it's considered a "double edged sord". Put her to sleep, and she'll never have a chance to beat the odds....let her live, and maybe she'll suffer as time goes on, and maybe not.
    Tough decision, but we're choosing to let nature take over.

7. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    If you pick her up and feel her body, you will know how thin she is.

8. DickGJ

DickGJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sumter, South Carolina
    As hard as it is even to say...cull the bird. I've seen some significant cases of cross-beaked chickens and they struggled to stay above Darwin's "curve" The overwhelming advice was...spare them the misery. Love gives us the strength to help them and love gives us the strength to cull them. [​IMG]

9. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    I have a black Ameracauna roo with the same problem. He is 3 months old tomorrow and seems to be doing "ok". He can still eat and drink, but is smaller than the other hatch-lings from his brood. I have noticed that the tip of his tongue is dried out and shriveled. I figure as long as he is growing and eating I will keep him with the flock, Otherwise I will cull.

Interestingly, when this chick hatched, he pipped and zipped very quickly and then seemed to poop out. I could see the membrane drying to his feathers like a shrink wrapped chick.

I headed all the warnings not to intervene. When all the hatching was done, I went to throw out the egg and it was still peeping. So I picked off all the stuck on shell and soaked off the dried membrane.

Now that he has the cross break issue, I believe even more in the "not helping" philosophy.

Liz

10. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I can't cull her myself...I just can't...
    I called the vet today again...35 bucks is the fee. Same for a cat I guess?
    She's the size of my palm...but whatevs.
    I do this to myself. I go to TSC, find a chick with an issue and try to nurse it back to health but it never works...other than those chickens who I was given because of their issues, I've never had a problem with my birds, no chick deaths or anything even...so I guess I can't feel too horrible about it.
    I know she's very underweight. It just kills me to see what a happy vibrant bird she could be if something could be done.
    I keep asking myself if it would have been better to just leave her there? Or is it best that she got all the love and attention possible in this amount of time? I can't decide if I'm the good guy or the bad guy. She's happy...but her body isn't...so...
    Thanks very much everyone!
    I'm very close with my birds...they are all my pets...I couldn't consider eating them or hurting them for any reason...no animal. As far as I'm concerned all the meat that I eat, came off of a steak tree or a chicken breast bush. >_<
    I hope you all have wonderful evenings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by