Crooked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Davlyn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    I have a Russian orloff pullet that is that I got back in Juli 11th 2012. I did not notice nor could I tell that she has a crooked beak. When she was 6 wks old I noticed something was not right . she has a crooked beak. What "if" anything can I do about this ? Can I have a vet nip the points off ? would that help at all ? She has been eating well with no issues, I am wondering if this will affect her more & worse as she matures. A friend said she had a chick that had a crooked beak & it didn't survive very long.
    TY

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I have some that are a few years old. It depends on the level of crookedness and how easy it is for them to eat. You can keep the beak trimmed up, keep a deep dish of food so they can scoop it up...and many do fine. Just keep an eye on her after trimming and make she is still able to eat.

3. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    TY.. I made a mash for the pullets , put it in a deep bowl, so hopefully she stays well. I have been wanting the Russian orloffs & got 4 From ideal back in July, the other 8 R different breeds.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    theres a thread called diary of a crossbeak on here, it has lots of good information in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by