crooked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vicki, Sep 5, 2008.

1. vicki

vicki New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    Hi! I have a friend who just started her first flock. They are 4 weeks old. She has a Red Star with a beak that doesn't close properly. The top doesn't meet the bottom, it goes off to the side. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thankyou!

2. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    My parents had a hen that was born with a severely deformed beak and she managed just fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. chantecler

chantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Moncton New Brunswick
    HI

I have two hens with crooked beaks.They are 17 weeks old and are doing just fine.
    I would not use them for breeding obviously.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    If you search the forums there are posts on giving them additional vitamins that may help straighten it. It's a problem it the skull itself. i have one that is about 5 months old, she is a bit smaller then the other but she is doing ok. Her's is as bad as it can get, her bottom jaw is totally out to the side. I have trimmed it back and the top one a bit too so she can eat, she can only eat out of the trough where the food it deep. She uses her tougue to pull the food in. She is the toughest chicken I have too, she will chase all the others away from her "food dish".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by