Crooked boobed chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by willowandthyme, Nov 13, 2014.

1. willowandthyme

willowandthyme Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    ontario
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but it doesn't really fit anywhere lol.
    I have a chicken (columbian rock X from Frey's) and she seems to have a very large breast on the one side. When I picked her up she feels very meaty on the right side of her chest but almost hollow on the other. My experience with chickens is somewhat limited as I grew up with barred rocks but I don't think this is normal. She walks fine, lays fine etc and I'm not planning on breeding or anything but I'm curious. Some of the others seems a little lopsided but nothing like her. Should I let the hatchery know?
    Thanks!

2. willowandthyme

Feb 10, 2014
    ontario
    Also should their breasts be very pronounced? I always thought they should be smooth out front

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure it's not a full crop that your are noticing?

4. willowandthyme

Feb 10, 2014
    ontario
    I didn't even know what a crop was until just a minute ago but no its definitely not that. Before I let them out in the morning she's crooked and there's nothing but her feed to eat and their last meal is around 2pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by