Crooked comb

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jay262, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I know the breed of my birds there leghorn x golden comet im wondering if its normal for leghorns combs to be crooked at a young age i know when there older they looked crooked and flopped to one side. With that said would the crook in the comb be a sign of a rooster at there age there just under 4 weeks old now. Combs are showing nicely and on the ones with the combs crooked there considerably bigger.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Leghorn hens can have some pretty impressive combs. If they're only 4 weeks, your birds with the big combs could be boys, but its hard to say without pictures. Could you post some pics of them?

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I've had some hatch with little folded over combs, and they straighten out as they grow, kinda like my 2nd son was born with a completely folded over ear, but now it's fine! Is that what you mean?

4. schumanw

schumanw Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Jacksonville
    Sounds like a rooster to me. I find leghorns exotic because of their floppy crowns.

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Here are a couple pics i just snapped i wont get into how i got the little black guy thats for another post of mine still trying to figure that one out. But here are all 6 of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    That looks strange to me. It might just be like I said, crooked from how it was laying in the egg while forming, but will straighten out as she grows, or maybe there's some kind of abnormality.

Looks like all girls to me, btw. My little roos that look slightly older had huge red combs by that age. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by