Crooked Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AtholCoop, Jan 17, 2011.

1. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    My old man asked me if I'd build a coop for my step-mom. Naturally he wanted it to be something kind of different than my usual stuff. I mentioned that I'd like to try and build a crooked coop. He took me up on it. I spent about 4 hours yesterday getting it to this point here. Honestly this building stuff all out of square is HARD.

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    LOL! My husband says the crooked stuff is EASIER, but he is a perfectionist freak. Good luck with the coop, and don't make yourself crazy!

PS- I look forward to seeing the finished product!

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Very cool. I have seen some of the Dr Suess crooked coops that are adorable. You should google it for painting ideas!!

4. AtholCoop

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Quote:Ahhh see the beauty of my system of wood working be it coops, or a bookcase for the missus is simple. I don't do the finish work. Hate painting.

5. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    So far it looks way too nice. May I suggest less measuring and a bigger hammer ....

6. AtholCoop

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    [​IMG]

Got the roof framing and most of the trim knocked out last night.

7. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    can't wait to see when it's all done [​IMG]

8. My6Chicks

My6Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Yarmouth, Maine
    You are more ambitious than I. Building something purposefully out of square is very hard and requires much more planning, measuring and thinking. But, I suspect that the chicks are worth it. Good luck, it looks great so far...

9. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have found that building a crooked coop is easy...now designing one and having it look like the design when finished...think of the possibilities! [​IMG]

10. AtholCoop

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Quote:I cheated some in that I drew the whole thing up in CAD so I knew what most of the challenges were going to be before I started, but cutting a trapezoidal bottom panel just felt wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by