Crooked foot on chick

Dodgegal79

Songster
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
Princeton BC Canada
I just had some Japanese quail hatch and one has bad feet. Instead of faceing the way they should, they are bent up under his legs. He is getting around, buit no gracefully. They don't want to seem to be bent back the way they should be, and I don't want to force them. has anyone had a chick like this and what did you do? I will put him down if I have too, I don't want him to suffer.
sad.png

Yes! I have had a chick like that and I have thought the very same thing. He actually hatched and his feet were turned inward and he only could put weight one his heels? knees? LOL...ya know what I mean.
Anyway when I transfered her to the brooder with the shelf liner in it, she still was doing badly and the other babies just picked on her. I swore she was a gonner so I decided to wait till morning the next day to see how she faired or if she would have died. Well.......It turns out that she straightened her own feet and was walking around and running the next day! We called her Mirical!
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

This is only her story, but I would say wait a day and see if the chicks feet correct themselves. And probably do not use shavings in the begining but somthing that is steady like "shelf liner" and some use wire or paper towels.

Anway good luck with your chick and I wish ya the best!
fl.gif

tongue.png

Yeah they are all on the shelf liner stuff and they are doing good. I'm not going to do anything right now, I'll see what happens. There isn't alot of them so I hope they don't pick on it.

I tried to make him little bootys with band-aids to straighten them out and he looked like he was in pain when I did it. One came off anf I took the other off tonight, they haven;'t changed at all. I think I am going to put him down tomorrow, my dad has some ether around here so I will let him fall asleep in my hand and do it that way. I feel so bad for him, he's a fiesty one but he's just not going to make it the way his legs are. I will post a pic of him tomorrow.

I'll see how he looks tomorrow but they havn't changed since yesterday so I don't think he will improve. Poor guy is always falling face first in the food so I've had to remove the food caked on his eyes a few times too. He's just not having a good time.

I put him down today. I held him and he fell asleep so I just pinched his neck so he couldn't breath and he didn't fight it at all. I cried and told him how sorry I was. Oh I hate this.lol.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom